Tuesday, October 21, 2014

P.S. Be Eleven By: Rita Garcia

After spending a long summer at their mom Cecile's house, they can't wait to return to her. Vonetta and Fern have been standing their ground and trying to do things on their own. Delphine's got it the worst, her mom left her when she was little, and she has to carry the weight of her sisters on her shoulders. Also her dad has a new girlfriend. Miss Marva Hendrix. None of the girls like her. Uncle Darnell has come back from the war but he's not the same he's different, like a part of him is missing. Besides her sisters, Delphine's got plenty of other things to worry about—like starting sixth grade, being the tallest girl in her class, and dreading the upcoming school dance. The one person she confides in is her mother, Cecile. Through letters, Delphine pours her heart out and receives some constant advice: to be eleven while she can.

I recommend fifth or sixth graders read this book.  I'm a sixth grader so I can relate to some of the things she has to deal with as a sixth grader.

3 comments:

  1. I am in fourth grade but I would love to still read this book! You can't stop me now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't realy a big fan of this one. But we all have different opinions i guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually the 2nd book in the series. The first book is One Crazy Summer. I could see this being a hard book to relate too unless you knew a lot of what was going on during this time period with a certain groups of people. She has to deal with a lot and in the first book she sees a lot so I thought it was interesting her mom is the one to reminder her to just be 11. I really enjoyed it but I knew many of you would have a hard time relating to what was happening without more background knowledge. :-)

    ReplyDelete